APPLICATION FOR CUSTOMS LICENSES FOR THE YEAR 2019
Notice is hereby given to the General Public that eligible firms wishing to operate with Customs during the year 2019 as Customs Agents, Customs Bonded Warehouses Operators, Manufacturing Under Bond Operators, Transporters of Goods under Customs Control, Inland Container Depots Operators and Container Freight Stations Operators are hereby invited to submit their applications to the Commissioner for Customs and Excise.
Applications will remain open until 09th November 2019
A. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR ALL LICENCE CATEGORIES
All Applicants shall be required to possess the documents and meet the conditions listed hereunder: –
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Certificate for the Company (for new applicants only);
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Certificate for each Director (for new applicants only);
- VAT Registration Certificate, if any (for new applicants only);
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate showing tax position for the current year;
- Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company (for new applicants only);
- Certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Name Registration Certificate, where applicable (for new applicants only);
- A recent passport size photograph (not more than one megabyte) of directors and staff duly certified by a Notary Public or an Advocate (for new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
- A valid identification document for each of the persons referred to in (7) above i.e. National ID, Passport or Voter Registration ID (for new applicants and for renewals only where there are changes);
- Letter(s) from guarantor(s) confirming annual premium remittances in respect of relevant bond securities (for renewals), or a relevant Customs bond security (for new applicants prior to issuance of license);
- A certified copy of title deed or lease agreement for a suitable office for the company which should be equipped with computing facilities capable of connecting to the Tanzania Customs Integrated System (TANCIS) – to be subjected to verification prior to granting of license;
- Non-existence of any outstanding Customs matter i.e. audit query, abandoned TANSADs, outstanding transit transactions or any other unresolved Customs issue (for renewals);
- A letter from the Business Registration and Licensing Agency (BRELA) stating the current status of the company’s Directors and Shareholders; (for new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
- Payment of non-refundable USD 50 application fee.
B. SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (for Customs Agents)
Application for both NEW and RENEWAL of licenses will be received and processed online through TANCIS. New applicants for Customs Agency Licenses will be required to abide by the following: –
1. Collect Company password which will be needed during the process of application. PASSWORD APPLICATION FORMS are available at Customs Front Desk/Reception, MAPATO HOUSE. Training program to NEW APPLICANTS WILL BE CONDUCTED ANY DAY FROM 8th OCTOBER TO 19th OCTOBER 2018 AT TANCIS TRAINING Room No. 212.
2. Download Customs Agency License Application form (C.20) available at TRA website (www.tra.go.tz). The application form must be properly filled in and signed by the director of the Company and accompanied by certified documents listed under item A (General Conditions for all license Categories);
3. Payment of non-refundable application fee of fifty (50) US dollars;
4. Have at least two employees in charge of clearance with diploma, certificate in customs training from a recognized institute or a minimum of five-year experience in customs operations.;
5. Submit an introduction letter in duplicate affixed with passport size photograph of one competent staff who will represent the Company in the interview. The letter should contain email address and telephone contact.
The Interviewee should meet the following conditions; –
- He/ She is a Director or a permanent staff of the Company; AND
- Possesses the East African Customs Clearing and Freight Forwarding Practicing Certificate, AND
- She/he has never been a director of a company whose Customs agency license has been revoked AND
6. Submit a signed declaration from a Commissioner for Oaths with the following details: –
- That none of the directors of the company has previously been a director of any licensed company whose license has been revoked in the last five years;
- That none of the directors of the company is a director of an existing licensed company; (for new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
- That none of the directors or shareholders of the company is an employee of TRA;
- That the Company will undertake provision of basic Customs services on a 24/7 work arrangement.
- That the Company is not involved or does not control the activities of a firm that handles and stores imports after they have been discharged from a vessel or an aircraft and exports to be put on board, a vessel or aircraft.
Note: Any person who previously sat for an interview for a licensed company shall not be eligible to sit for this interview for another company.
New Applicants shall execute a Customs Bond Security to the tune of Tshs. One Hundred million (100,000,000/=) and submit the same after passing the examination.
Application for Renew of Customs Agency Licenses will be received and processed through TANCIS and must be accompanied with.
a) Payment of non-refundable application fee of fifty (50) US dollars.
b) Certificate of Registration for clearing and forwarding issued by TASAC
c) Proof of affiliation or membership to a recognized clearing and forwarding association
d) Valid customs license for the preceding year
NB: ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS FOR CUSTOMS AGENTS LICENSES WIILL BE CONTACTED THROUGH TANCIS AND PUBLIC NOTICE FOR WRITTEN INTERVIEW.
C. SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (For Customs Bonded Warehouses (CBW) and Manufacture Under Bond (MUB) License)
Application for a License to operate as Customs bonded warehouses and Manufacture Under Bond operators who meet general conditions as specified in (A) above must also comply with the following:
- Download Customs Application form (C.18) available at TRA website (www.tra.go.tz). The applicants must fill in the application form, the same must be signed by the director of the Company and accompanied by certified documents listed under item A (General Conditions for all license Categories).
- Submit a site plan professionally drawn showing the location of the premises and its situation in relation to other premises and thoroughfare;
- Meet the minimum area coverage i.e. square meters 1000 and 2000 for private bonded warehouse and general bonded warehouse respectively;
- Premises be in a Commercial or Industrial area
- Submit certified copy of the rental contract whose duration is longer than the duration of the license applied or furnish proof of ownership of the premises;
- Have adequate parking yard or storage area which shall be made of rigid pavements, tarmacked or made of concrete finishing.
- The premises be well secured with three-meter-high perimeter fence, concrete walls with an electric wire on top and lighting system.
- The premises be well secured with 24 hours security including security guards and electronic surveillance.
- The premises be equipped with a fire fighting system
- Submit production formulae approved by Tanzania Bureau of Standards and other competent Authority (for Manufacturing under Bond).
- Submit Industrial License issued by the Ministry of Trade and Industry (for Manufacture under Bond).
Upon fulfillment of the above, be able to execute bond security using the Customs Bond Form by a licensed and approved guarantor as follows;
- For a private bonded warehouse – a minimum of shillings 500,000,000
- For a general bonded warehouse – a minimum of shillings 1,000,000,000
- For MUB – a minimum of shillings 2,000,000,000
In addition to the above bond securities, successful applicants will be required to execute an appropriate revolving Customs Bond to cover the removal of cargo to and from the respective Bonded Warehouses/ MUB at a minimum of shillings 100,000,000.00.
Applications for renewal of licenses to operate CBW and MUB will be done online through TANCIS
D. SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (for Transporters of Goods under Customs Control)
All Applicants for Transporter’s License and Vehicle License must observe the following additional conditions:
- Execute a Customs Security bond to the tune of Tanzanian shillings ten million (10,000,000) (for C.28 or C.40) or fifty million (50,000,000) for both licenses (C.28 and C.40).
- Submit SUMATRA Motor vehicle carrier’s License.
- Submit a renewal letter confirming annual premium for bond security of Tanzania Shillings 10,000,000 or 50,000,000 from a guarantor attached with copy of the original bond that is subject to renewal. (for renewal)
- Persons to directly handle Customs documents or transact with Customs shall be only the directors/owners/employees as per General Conditions in Part A;
- Proof of affiliation or membership to a recognized relevant association;
- Apply for Certificate of Transporters (COT);
- Each individual carrying unit shall have to be licensed using form C.28 and C.40 upon payment of license fee of two hundred dollars (200 USD) respectively as per East African Community Customs Management Regulations 2010.
E. SPECIFIC CONDITIONS FOR INLAND CONTAINER DEPOT (ICD) AND CONTAINER FREIGHT
Applications for ICDs and CFS shall be made on the prescribed form (form C.18) and shall be done online through TANCIS and applicants must observe the following conditions: –
- Location: An ICD shall be located thirty (30) kilometers or more from the port terminal. (for new applicants)
- Fencing: concrete wall at least 3- meters high perimeter, with an electric wire on top
- Entry/ Exit gates: there should be two separate entry/ exit gates
- Security: 24 hours security including security guards and electronics surveillance
- Parking space: an ICD/CFS is a customs restricted area. It may allow vehicles in and out for the purpose of loading and discharging. Hence the parking space shall be outside the ICD/CFS boundaries for trucks waiting to be loaded.
- Cladding/paving: for the purpose of strength and durability, paving of the yard shall be with concrete, strong enough to withstand traction of heavy trucks and is to be well drained.
- Demarcation: Clear demarcation to separate imports or exports from verified goods and empty containers is necessary
- Examination area: Should be roofed and with a capacity of at least 10 x 20 feet container examination at a time.
- Transit shed: This is mainly for goods which cannot fit back into containers after being unloaded for examination; the shed should be of a reasonable size.
- Customs warehouse: The size of customs warehouse should be at least 300 square meters.
- Customs office; this should be able to accommodate at least 5 Customs staff and should be suitably furnished, ventilated, and with appropriate lighting, telephone, hygienic and other necessary facilities.
- Equipment: There must be appropriate equipment for cargo handling, stacking, examination, measurement etc. in addition there must be at least two reach stackers for smooth operations just in case one of them breaks down.
- Security bonds: Upon fulfilment of the above conditions and prior to issuance of a license, applicants shall have to execute customs security bond as follows:
- CB2 to be at least Tanzanian shillings 500,000,000
- CB13 at least Tanzanian shillings 2,000,000,000
- Labour availability: the ICD/CFS should be able to engage sufficient labour force at all times during operations.
- Size of ICD/CFS: The size should be at least 40,000 square meters for ICD and 10,000 square meters for CFS.
- Rail linkage: ICD/CFS should preferably have rail linkages
- Land lease: the ICD/CFS operator should either hold a title deed or a lease agreement for the land where the ICD/CFS valid up to not earlier than June 2019
- Working hours: Licensee shall operate 24/7 hours work arrangement.
- Lightning: Floodlights should be installed to light upon the entire surface area to facilitate 24hours operation
- TASAC:SubmitTASACLicenseforICD/CFSOperations.(forbothnewapplicantsand renewal)
- TANROADS: Submit Clearance Letter from TANROADS. (for both new applicants and renewal